Connect with us

NEWS

Young Dolph Murder Suspect Justin Johnson and 2nd Man Arrested By U.S. Marshals after more than 500 tips

The two arrests today makes a total of three arrests to date in Young Dolphj’s murder investigation. On Tuesday, the Shelby County district attorney announced that a grand jury had charged a 32-year-old Cornelius Smith, with first-degree murder and a second count of attempted first-degree murder in connection to the deadly shooting on Nov. 17.

Published

on

Two men have been arrested in connection to the fatal shooting of rapper Young Dolph in Tennessee last year, but law enforcement officials on Wednesday said they have yet to determine a motive in the deadly shooting.

“We’re just not ready to put this out yet,” Memphis Police Chief C.J. Davis said at a news conference Wednesday as investigators continue sorting through a slew of tips, information, rumors, and innuendo to pin down why the two suspects — one of them a rapper — allegedly carried out the killing.

Johnson, who also raps under the stage name Straight Drop, had just two days ago reportedly vowed to turn himself in to stand up to charges on Monday (Jan. 10) in a social media post, but failed to do so, instead he dropped a new music video for his single, “Track Hawk” that same day.

Young Dolph, whose given name is Adolph Robert Thornton Jr., was fatally shot at Makeda’s Homemade Butter Cookies in Memphis in November. The 36-year-old made his debut in 2008 with “Paper Route Campaign” and built a reputation as one of the most prolific rappers in the industry, at one point making a music video from his hospital room after being shot in Los Angeles in 2017. His collaborators included Megan Thee Stallion and Gucci Mane, and he often worked with his fellow Memphis rapper and protégé Key Glock.

There were no suspects immediately after the shooting but, on Jan. 5, the US Marshals Service and Memphis Police announced a $15,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of Justin Johnson, a Memphis native and rapper who goes by the name of Straight Drop.

Johnson had stated on social media on Monday that he planned to turn himself in, according to a statement from the Shelby County District Attorney’s Office. But ultimately, he didn’t.

Instead, Johnson was taken into custody in Indiana Tuesday, the US Marshals officials said in a statement. Johnson was found after officials received more than 500 tips, largely prompted by the reward, officials said.

Johnson also had an outstanding warrant for violating the terms of his supervised federal release, according to the statement.

A third man, 27-year-old Shondele Barnett, was also taken into custody along with Johnson and facing charges of being an accessory after the fact. Barnett is suspected of aiding Johnson as the two traveled through Indiana during the manhunt.

On Tuesday, the Shelby County district attorney also announced that a grand jury had charged a second man, 32-year-old Cornelius Smith, with first-degree murder and a second count of attempted first-degree murder in connection to the deadly shooting on Nov. 17.

Smith was arrested on Dec. 9 on an auto theft warrant for a white Mercedes-Benz, the vehicle authorities believe was used in the killing of Dolph.

The car was stolen on Nov. 10 and found on Nov. 20, three days after the deadly shooting.

Smith is in custody in Shelby County Jail.

Johnson has not yet been charged in the killing, but Davis said an indictment was forthcoming.

Shelby County District Attorney Amy Weirich said Johnson had a lengthy criminal record that included an aggravated rape and aggravated robbery conviction when he was 17. In 2017, Johnson was convicted and served five years after shooting three people in a bowling alley.

He was released nine months into his sentence, Weirich said, and in 2018, was indicted on a federal gun charge.

He had been released from federal custody in May 2021.

On Wednesday, officials declined to released more details about the November shooting, but said they had enough information to name Johnson as a person of interest in the shooting. An indictment, Davis said, was forthcoming.

“We had enough probable cause to put out this wanted flyer for Johnson and we have enough information to ensure that he will see his day in court,” Davis said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

NEWS

A Short Conversation About ‘Snitching’ Led To The Murder Of Nipsey Hussle -Prosecutor

the woman who has accused singer Chris Brown of drugging and raping her on a yacht in late December 2020. In text messages between Brown and the accuser which was exclusively obtained by Radar, Jane Doe, the woman is seen courting Brown in lewd language and bare-naked selfies almost immediately after the alleged rape took place.

Published

on

A Los Angeles prosecutor on Wednesday told jurors that a conversation between Hussle and fellow gang member Eric R. Holder, was a catalyst in the rappers shooting. AP reported that the prosecutor told jurors that pre-mediated the rapper’s 2019 killing after a short conversation between the two men regarding accusations of “snitching.”

The highly-publicized trial kicked off this week with opening arguments on Wednesday following nearly two weeks of jury selection and a pandemic-related delay.

Holder, 32, faces one count of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted first-degree murder in the shooting that left Hussle dead and two other men injured. Holder faces possible life in prison if convicted.

Deputy District Attorney John McKinney used his opening statement on Wednesday to describe the sequence of events that led to Hussle’s May 2019 death outside his clothing store in South Los Angeles, according to news reports.

Hussle, a South LA native who was born Ermias Asghedom, was using his notoriety to help revitalize his community at the time of his death. Prosecutors said Hussle and Holder grew up in the same neighborhood and knew each other from both being members of the same gang, the Rollin’ 60s.

McKinney told jurors that prior to the shooting, the two men had a brief, chance conversation in which Hussle told Holder there were rumors that the latter was a “snitch” and he should “clear that up,” according to The AP. The district attorney described the short discussion as a “cool conversation” in which Hussle told Holder that he’d heard Holder was talking to police about members of the Rollin’ 60s.

The allegation, McKinney said, “moved Eric Holder to a point of wanting to return to the parking lot and kill Nipsey Hussle,” according to The AP.

Minutes later, Holder returned to the same parking lot with two guns and fired multiple shots at Hussle, prosecutors allege. The rapper was hit 11 times and two other men were also struck, according to officials. Police arrested Holder two days later following a manhunt and a grand jury indicted Holder two months after his capture.

Nipsey Hussle
Nipsey Hussle.AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez

McKinney on Wednesday said there was “no doubt” that Holder planned to kill Hussle ahead of the shooting, The AP reported.

“He clearly thought about what he was going to do before he did it,” McKinney said in court.

Jurors on Wednesday were shown video of the aftermath of the shooting in which multiple people tried to resuscitate Hussle, the outlet reported. McKinney also showed the courtroom photos and video of the shooting, with Holder running away afterward in a red shirt and bandana with a semiautomatic gun and revolver in hand, according to The AP.

Several eyewitnesses who knew both Hussle and Holder have previously told police and a grand jury that Holder approached Hussle and fatally shot him. Hussle was 33 at the time of his death and left behind a young son and daughter.

The defendant’s attorney, Aaron Jansen, plans to argue that Hussle’s killing was not premeditated. The lawyer has also said that the other two men injured in the shooting were not intended targets, making the attempted murder charges excessive. The AP reported that the attorney is likely to emphasize Holder’s mental health issues as well.

The Grammy-award-winning rapper’s death prompted mass displays of mourning in Los Angeles and across the world, with several athletes, musicians and politicians memorializing Hussle. 

The trial is expected to last about two more weeks, according to The AP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Continue Reading

NEWS

A Short Conversation About ‘Snitching’ Led To The Murder Of Nipsey Hussle -Prosecutor

Published

on

A Los Angeles prosecutor on Wednesday told jurors that a conversation between Hussle and fellow gang member Eric R. Holder, was a catalyst in the rappers shooting. AP reported that the prosecutor told jurors that pre-mediated the rapper’s 2019 killing after a short conversation between the two men regarding accusations of “snitching.”

The highly-publicized trial kicked off this week with opening arguments on Wednesday following nearly two weeks of jury selection and a pandemic-related delay.

Holder, 32, faces one count of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted first-degree murder in the shooting that left Hussle dead and two other men injured. Holder faces possible life in prison if convicted.

Deputy District Attorney John McKinney used his opening statement on Wednesday to describe the sequence of events that led to Hussle’s May 2019 death outside his clothing store in South Los Angeles, according to news reports.

Hussle, a South LA native who was born Ermias Asghedom, was using his notoriety to help revitalize his community at the time of his death. Prosecutors said Hussle and Holder grew up in the same neighborhood and knew each other from both being members of the same gang, the Rollin’ 60s.

McKinney told jurors that prior to the shooting, the two men had a brief, chance conversation in which Hussle told Holder there were rumors that the latter was a “snitch” and he should “clear that up,” according to The AP. The district attorney described the short discussion as a “cool conversation” in which Hussle told Holder that he’d heard Holder was talking to police about members of the Rollin’ 60s.

The allegation, McKinney said, “moved Eric Holder to a point of wanting to return to the parking lot and kill Nipsey Hussle,” according to The AP.

Minutes later, Holder returned to the same parking lot with two guns and fired multiple shots at Hussle, prosecutors allege. The rapper was hit 11 times and two other men were also struck, according to officials. Police arrested Holder two days later following a manhunt and a grand jury indicted Holder two months after his capture.

Nipsey Hussle
Nipsey Hussle.AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez

McKinney on Wednesday said there was “no doubt” that Holder planned to kill Hussle ahead of the shooting, The AP reported.

“He clearly thought about what he was going to do before he did it,” McKinney said in court.

Jurors on Wednesday were shown video of the aftermath of the shooting in which multiple people tried to resuscitate Hussle, the outlet reported. McKinney also showed the courtroom photos and video of the shooting, with Holder running away afterward in a red shirt and bandana with a semiautomatic gun and revolver in hand, according to The AP.

Several eyewitnesses who knew both Hussle and Holder have previously told police and a grand jury that Holder approached Hussle and fatally shot him. Hussle was 33 at the time of his death and left behind a young son and daughter.

The defendant’s attorney, Aaron Jansen, plans to argue that Hussle’s killing was not premeditated. The lawyer has also said that the other two men injured in the shooting were not intended targets, making the attempted murder charges excessive. The AP reported that the attorney is likely to emphasize Holder’s mental health issues as well.

The Grammy-award-winning rapper’s death prompted mass displays of mourning in Los Angeles and across the world, with several athletes, musicians and politicians memorializing Hussle. 

The trial is expected to last about two more weeks, according to The AP.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Los Angeles District Attorney Will Not File Felony Charges Against The Man Who Attacked Dave Chappelle At Comedy Show

Published

on

Twitter

Comedian Dave Chappelle’ lawyer says the comedian is unhappy with Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón’s decision not to file felony charges against the man who allegedly attacked him on stage.

“It’s a travesty of justice that Gascón is refusing to prosecute this case as a felony,” Gabriel Colwell told the New York Post on Friday. “The city attorney, who filed the case, is doing his job but DA Gascón should also do his job and charge this as a felony.

article continues below

Bloodstone

Bloodstone’s other hits include “Never Let You Go”, “Outside Woman” and “My Little Lady”. Bloodstone was instrumental in the “black rock” and funk movement of the 1970s, and even play

“… Entertainers in LA need to know this is a justice system that will protect them. There is no question here that when someone is violently assaulted by another in possession of a deadly weapon that it should be charged as a felony.”

Colwell echoed those comments to Rolling Stone magazine, telling the publication: “This is what Mr. Chappelle wants. Mr. Chappelle wants this case charged as a felony. … Ten thousand people saw Dave Chappelle assaulted on stage at the Hollywood Bowl last Tuesday night, and the assailant had a deadly weapon on him. The fact that this isn’t charged as a felony case by the DA is insane.”

Isaiah Lee, 23, was charged Thursday by the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office with single misdemeanor charge of battery, possession of a weapon with intent to assault, unauthorized access to the stage area during a performance and commission of an act that delays an event or interferes with a performer. He appeared in court Tuesday for a bail review hearing during which bail remained set at $30,000.

Lee is due back in court May 20 after pleading not guilty to the four misdemeanor counts.

Earlier Thursday, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced that it would not file any felony charges against Lee.

“After reviewing the evidence, prosecutors determined that while criminal conduct occurred, the evidence as presented did not constitute felony conduct,” according to a statement from the District Attorney’s Office.

The office opted to refer the case to the City Attorney’s Office, which handles misdemeanor prosecutions.


Continue Reading

NEWS

Los Angeles District Attorney Will Not File Felony Charges Against The Man Who Attacked Dave Chappelle At Comedy Show

Published

on

Comedian Dave Chappelle’ lawyer says the comedian is unhappy with Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón’s decision not to file felony charges against the man who allegedly attacked him on stage.

“It’s a travesty of justice that Gascón is refusing to prosecute this case as a felony,” Gabriel Colwell told the New York Post on Friday. “The city attorney, who filed the case, is doing his job but DA Gascón should also do his job and charge this as a felony.

article continues below

Bloodstone

Bloodstone’s other hits include “Never Let You Go”, “Outside Woman” and “My Little Lady”. Bloodstone was instrumental in the “black rock” and funk movement of the 1970s, and even play

“… Entertainers in LA need to know this is a justice system that will protect them. There is no question here that when someone is violently assaulted by another in possession of a deadly weapon that it should be charged as a felony.”

Colwell echoed those comments to Rolling Stone magazine, telling the publication: “This is what Mr. Chappelle wants. Mr. Chappelle wants this case charged as a felony. … Ten thousand people saw Dave Chappelle assaulted on stage at the Hollywood Bowl last Tuesday night, and the assailant had a deadly weapon on him. The fact that this isn’t charged as a felony case by the DA is insane.”

Isaiah Lee, 23, was charged Thursday by the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office with single misdemeanor charge of battery, possession of a weapon with intent to assault, unauthorized access to the stage area during a performance and commission of an act that delays an event or interferes with a performer. He appeared in court Tuesday for a bail review hearing during which bail remained set at $30,000.

Lee is due back in court May 20 after pleading not guilty to the four misdemeanor counts.

Earlier Thursday, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced that it would not file any felony charges against Lee.

“After reviewing the evidence, prosecutors determined that while criminal conduct occurred, the evidence as presented did not constitute felony conduct,” according to a statement from the District Attorney’s Office.

The office opted to refer the case to the City Attorney’s Office, which handles misdemeanor prosecutions.


Continue Reading

NEWS

​Hip-Hop’s Queen Latifah Breaks Ground On Community-Driven Real Estate Project In Newark

Published

on

KbakercoMedia

Queen Latifah returned home to Newark on Tuesday, warmly welcomed by fans, family and public officials at a groundbreaking ceremony for a mixed-use project she is partnering with local developers to build on a block with a troubled past.

“I was born here, St. Michael’s Hospital, so this is definitely my home,” said Latifah, 52, who spent some of her early years in neighboring East Orange and Irvington. But getting back to Newark, she added, “This is where Sarah Vaughn is from, so I’m proud to be from here.”

Latifah, an award-winning rapper, singer, and actor who stars in “The Equalizer” on CBS, appeared before a crowd of about 150 people gathered at the site of the RISE mixed-use project between Springfield and 19th Avenues, west of 16th Street, near the boundary of Central and West wards.

The project will include 60 two- and three-bedroom market-rate apartments in four townhouse clusters, and 16 affordable units in a separate building. It will also have space for healthcare or other professional offices and nonprofit organizations.

Rent for the market-rate units will start at around $1,800 a month, said officials of GonSosa Development, the company headed by Alberto and Yacinda Goncalves and Ricardo Sosa that is partnering with Latifah’s development company, Blue Sugar, on the project. Blue Sugar’s CEO is her longtime friend and fellow Newarker Tammy Hammond.

Construction began this winter on the first phase of the project, a dozen market-rate apartments in a three-story building designed to look like a townhouse cluster, which is expected to be completed this summer. Additional phases will be finished gradually, including the affordable units sometime in 2023, with the entire project done by early 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending

It's a New Year.
Join the Nation Now, and your First Resolution is Done.

Join a community dedicated to R&B Music in all of its sub-genres and incarnations and be first to receive the latest relevant music related  News & Updates, Feature Articles, New Music Videos and Special Offers curated  from our strategic retail and media partners, sponsors and supporters.  Joining the Nation has Benefits!